Skip to main content

Shiny objects

Everyone has seen this year's Topps Chrome offering, I'm sure. But I'm a sucker for a pack-ripping, as I know a few others out there are, too. A Pack A Day is the best. Set up a ripping of 1991 Donruss and I'm there.

So anyway, I picked up a couple of packs Sunday. Lest anyone think I wasted precious gas on cards only, let it be known that the family also purchased toothpaste, cake frosting, a CD for my daughter, spray paint and a pet bed. Now that's one fulfilling afternoon.

It's all about the Yankees tonight, so I'll try to keep it in a New York State of Mind:

Too late. First one out of the gate is a Dodger, albeit an injured one. I don't know if Brad Penny is ever going to get back to his former self, and that's too bad because he was my favorite player during that year-and-a-half with L.A. when he was just bad ass. And that was before he started dating her.

OK, the Yankee theme can start with Mr. Cocky. If this guy stays in a Red Sox uniform for awhile, he's going to tick off New Yorkers for years. And for that, Dustin, I salute you.

It's still staggering how sharply the Braves have fallen. I can't get used to them not being in the postseason. Much like the Yankees this season ... OK, I can get used to that.

No postseason for the Rockies either. Can anyone say, one-year fluke? You said it last year? Me, too.

Mr. Mantle himself. I think his name came up Sunday almost as often as the number of Mantle cards Topps has produced in the last 10 years. Mantle's 470th home run came off of Jim Kaat, by the way.

Mantle, once again. Only this time it's a picture of him gunning for a gig on "The Apprentice." Honestly, what's the appeal of seeing Mantle in a business suit? And I know this topic has been addressed many times before, but has Topps officially destroyed Mantle's reputation as the single most collectible player in the history of sports, thanks to the 25 gajillion Mantle cards it's produced since his death? I, for one, have stopped hoping I get a Mantle card.

Lastly, Chone Figgins. Appropriately, from a team that just kills the Yankees. I always enjoyed seeing the Angels mess with the Yankees' minds. But that's about all I like about the Angels. And now that N.Y. won't be in the playoffs, I don't have much use for the Halos. Unless they meet the Cubs in the Series. Then, work your magic, Mike Scioscia. Work your magic.

Comments

--David said…
I agree. Mantle has gone from one of the most sought-after names in collecting to one that just about hits every last nerve. How sad is it when you open a pack of cards and think, "oh... another Mantle..."
Dinged Corners said…
We agree about the Rockies. And that Mickey Mantle cards are now a symbol of card companies' lack of imagination. Great post.