Skip to main content

RIP: George Kissell

Sad news today, folks. George Kissell, a St. Louis Cardinals legend and one of the most respected, if not the most respected coach in all of baseball, died this morning as a result of injuries suffered in an automobile accident on Monday night.

Kissell, who died at age 88, was -- no exaggeration here -- a titan of the sport among baseball people. The way that fans look up to Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays, that's how people who play and manage in professional baseball look up to George Kissell.

Like I mentioned in the previous post, Kissell grew up in a town near where I live. I was lucky enough to have a conversation with him. He truly loved the game, probably more than almost anyone on the planet. I'm sad that he won't be around anymore.

I'll miss you, George. Baseball will miss you, too.

Comments