Skip to main content

Scrounging for cash

If you watched ESPN's mediocre-but-captivating miniseries "The Bronx is Burning," you saw how the always colorful Mickey Rivers was depicted -- constantly mooching for cash from his teammates because he kept blowing all his money at the track.

I don't play the ponies. But I'm in a Rivers state of mind this week because I found out a couple days ago that the card show that is ALWAYS scheduled for the last weekend in October has been moved up to THIS weekend. That's one less week to scare up a few more dollars, and I'm looking under every couch cushion until then.

Regardless, I'm going to the show with less cash than usual, thanks to that whole mortgage-bank-high finance-we're-in-a-deep-pile-of-do-do thingy. That's unfortunate, because I have a different mind-set for this show then past shows. Usually, I'd go straight to the dealers selling vintage cards. This weekend, I'll be doing that, but I also want to complete my 2008 A & G set, check out some other current cards, and also find some cards for my friendly fellow bloggers.

I don't know how all that is going to go, because usually when I get to the show, I see the tables and I see the cards, and I turn into a 10-year-old. I'm so buzzed that I can barely focus. Fortunately, I'll have my list and that helps a bit. And I'll try to cut down on the pop rocks.

Wish me luck. I'll post whatever few cards I find.

Comments

--David said…
Well, you could always substitute Lik-M-Aid... :-) Can't wait to see what you get!