Skip to main content

Did I just trade for a Giant?

I received this Rafael Furcal game-used card Monday from Zach of Autographed Cards in a quickie auto-for-gamer trade.

I inquired about any available Dodger autos or relics, and he didn't have any but offered the Furcal card. I gladly agreed to the trade. I like Furcal, and I've said several times that I really, really hope the Dodgers re-sign him.

But the way things look now that's appearing less and less likely. Furcal's agent is talking four years, and the Dodgers won't agree to that. Meanwhile, teams are lining up to inquire about Furcal, especially the Giants, A's, Cardinals, Cubs and Braves.

So, I may have just traded for someone who has already worn a Dodger uniform for the last time. That's disappointing, because there is nothing that builds confidence in your team (aside from great starting pitching) than an anchor at shortstop. There is definitely something missing when your team is starting a shortstop like Julio Lugo or David Eckstein (yeah, I know both of them won World Series rings, I'm talking about confidence).

Edgar Rentaria and Orlando Cabrera are still out there, but it just won't be the same as Raffy. And if the Dodgers end up starting Chin-lung Hu or Angel Berroa or Ivan DeJesus Jr. at shortstop, I'll just keep telling myself -- "The Red Sox won with Lugo and the Cardinals won with Eckstein" -- all season long.

Comments

gcrl said…
hey greg - don't forget, we won with alfredo griffin at short!

but i agree - raffy should have been the top priority for ned. and maybe he was, just the length of contract was too much. although ned's track record doesn't suggest that he is overly cautious with free agents.
Scott C. said…
Trust me, you don't want Rent-a-wreck any more than you want Lugo. I watched both with the Red Sox and you nailed it - no confidence in either. Both at the dish and with the leather. I'm hoping the Red Sox can find some poor sucker who thinks Lugo just had a bad year (or two). You can have him for a bag of peanuts and a beer! OK, just the peanuts then.
Dave said…
Hey, I liked Lugo plenty when he was with the Rays. There may have been a lot missing from the team when he was there, but Lugo was definitely not the problem. He's the one guy who I really root for on Boston.