Skip to main content

Cards for the less fortunate

Before you jump to any conclusions, let me just say that the "less fortunate" in this case is none other than me. OK, on with the post:

I'm not sure what I expected to receive this Christmas. But I am certain about a few things:

1. I made it known that I wanted cards.
2. I write out a list every year, and I was very specific about which cards and brands I wanted.
3. I pointed out blasters during family trips to the store.
4. Several family members observed that I was much more into cards than I had been in previous years.
5. My blog isn't a secret to certain family members.

Despite all of that, another Christmas has come and gone without me receiving any new cards. I'm happy with my gifts and I don't mean to sound ungrateful. But I'd be much happier if some of those gifts included cards.

I admit that I am envious of some of the bloggers out there -- the ones with grandparents who find cards for them at flea markets, the nephews who receive a blaster from their aunt, the husband and wife, or boyfriend and girlfriend, who bust wax together. I have none of that. Blood relatives, in-laws, it doesn't matter. My hobby is an oddity to all of them.

But before you feel sorry for me, know two things:

1. My family may not know what I like, but they do know that I like something. And I received some cash to purchase it (including a gift card to a certain store that has an overwhelming fascination with the color red).
2. I have all of you.

On that second point, I received my "12 Days Giveaway" cards from David of Tribe Cards on Christmas Eve. I opened the box on the 24th, but I didn't unwrap the gift-wrapped cards, saving the two packages just in case what came to pass this Christmas actually did come to pass. And David was there to help the needy. He remembered someone who wouldn't have any cards to open on Christmas Day. Thanks Dave!

This is what I opened from David on Christmas:

1 J.D. Drew
2 Jeff Kents
3 Todd Hundleys
4 Billy Ashleys (Billy Ashley!)
5 Karim Garcias
6 Kal Daniels
7 Brett Butlers
8 Mike Scioscias
9 Eric Karros
10 Raul Mondesis
11 Shawn Greens
12 Orel Hershisers

Some of the highlights include:

Kal Daniels, 1991 Upper Deck. This is the last Dodger I need to complete the '91 Upper Deck team set. Very nice.
Raul Mondesi, 1999 Upper Deck Ovation. The raised-seams aspect of the card is cool, but I can't help but fixate on the card lopping off the bottom half of Mondesi's left leg. It just looks weird.

Shawn Green, 2001 Topps Gold Label. The Shawn Green cards were my favorites of the bunch. This card is shiny and thick, although the photo is rather plain.

2000 Upper Deck HoloGrFx. You can't tell from this scan, but this card looks like it could throw someone into convulsions. It reminds me of that Wang Chung video "Everybody Have Fun Tonight." Remember that? The BBC banned it because the video technique that was used was freaking viewers out.

2001 Topps Gallery. One of those painting cards. I don't have much to say about it except for the fact that I've never been so aware of a forearm on a baseball card in my entire life.

Orel Hershiser, 1989 Fleer World Series. Yes, the "Bulldog." He doesn't look very "bulldogy" here. I remember seeing Hershiser slide like this throughout 1988. It looks like something he learned from reading Gil Thorp comic strips. I suppose it's a technically correct slide. It just looks so dated.

David also threw in a couple of these 1993 Upper Deck fold-out style Baseball Assistance Team (BAT) cards. Gil Hodges and Wally Moon. They are very awesome, and a sign of how David likes to add an extra touch to his card packages. Thanks for the present, Dave! It means a lot.

Meanwhile, I said I'd show some more cards I received in another gift giveaway from dayf of Cardboard Junkie. Apparently, I'm one of the lucky few who received his cards before Christmas. But you read my sob story earlier! I deserve it!

Here are a handful of other cards I received:

Eric Gagne, 2004 Leaf Certified Cuts. This card is a rainbow of shininess.


Eric Gagne, 2005 Fleer Patchworks. I'm not crazy about the idea of featuring an undershirt on the front of a card. At least it looks clean.

Bill Russell, 1984 Donruss. I like '84 Donruss so much that I think I'll have to feature every card I get from that set.

Franklin Stubbs, 1987 Donruss Opening Day. I'm showing this card just because I like Franklin's toothy grin.

Both Dave and Dave sent many others. But that's a glimpse of my Christmas haul. I'm very grateful this Christmas season because some bloggers out there remembered the less fortunate and sent me some cards.

Merry Christmas to you all. God bless you every one. 

Comments

steveisjewish said…
i feel your pain - not a single card for me this yeae iether.
Sooz said…
I got sheets.

My mother tries and bought me a blaster of the Yankee Stadium Legacy 100-card gift set, which I already owned.

But at least my 53-year-old mother, who yells at me to save my money and not buy me baseball cards, attempted to get me something. I already owned it, but my sister-in-law bought me sheets.

That's all I keep thinking.

I got sheets.