Skip to main content

Cardogenic

This is my favorite card of 2008. It's usually hard for me to come up with a single card that tops all others in a calendar year, but not in 2008.

The Martin Masterpieces arrived in my mailbox Friday from Scott of Hand Collated in yet another one-for-one swap. I have waited patiently for months for the opportunity to obtain this card. I thought I'd have it by now, but Masterpieces likes toying with collectors. Fortunately, that doesn't matter now. The card is here, it's fantastic, and it's mine.

In my humble opinion, no one had more great cards this past year than Martin, who by the way is my favorite current player (or maybe it's Ethier or Billingsley or Kemp. I go back and forth). Not only does he have the Masterpieces card, but he also has this card:

I've gone on record as saying that's the best card of the Stadium Club set. And this same photo also appeared on the Topps Chrome card (which I'm still looking to obtain).

But that's not all. Martin also had this card:

A lot of people consider this the best card of the '08 Allen & Ginter set. That's some trifecta for Russell. Martin doesn't just photograph well. He draws well, too. He's not merely photogenic. He's CARDogenic.

During less certain days, I waffle between the three cards, not certain which is Martin's best. But more often I'm sure the Masterpieces card is the clear winner.

So, now I ask you. Which of the three is the best? The poll is up-and-running on the sidebar. And if you like another one better, whether Martin or otherwise, comment away.

Comments

RWH said…
I've got a hard time choosing between the Masterpieces and the Stadium Club, but I think Stadium Club wins out for me.I like the perspective and uniqueness of the photo just a bit more. However, my answer would probably be different tomorrow.
Goose Joak said…
The first two cards are great, no doubt. But the Allen & Ginter card is so good I almost want to frame it.
Anonymous said…
That would be very true about the A&G card if it was drawn. Topps uses a version of the Dragan effect for their A&G cards. So, not only is he photogenic, he is also Photoshopgenic.

Though I'm sure Dick Perez draws him well, too. Heh.
night owl said…
Yeah, I was being facetious there. I know it's not really "drawn."

I've never been a Dick Perez fan, though I know a lot of collectors LOVE his cards.
Anonymous said…
Yeah, I don't get the Dick Perez thing either. I mean, just one look at his Dice-K? Yeesh.