Skip to main content

Wickedly awesome night card

ME: So, I was leafing through my ...
YOU: Hey, didn't you just do one of those night card things?
ME: Yeah, I did.
YOU: So how come you're doing another one so soon?
ME: Just go with me on this, will ya?
YOU: Your blog.
ME: Yes. It is. ... So, I was leafing through my complete set of 1952 Topps the other day.
YOU: Wait a minute. You have a COMPLETE set of 1952 Topps?
ME: Yeah.
YOU: You never told me anything about a complete set of '52 Topps. I didn't even know you had any 1952 Topps.
ME: Well, there are a lot of things I haven't told you. I'm a complex and multi-faceted individual.
YOU: Bleepin' loser. I don't know why I read your crap.
ME: ANYway. I was leafing through my complete set of '52 Topps and I suddenly found this Satchel Paige night card that I had never seen before!
YOU: What? Satchel Paige?!! Night card? There weren't any night cards in '52!
ME: Yeah there was. This one. The first night card ever made.
YOU: The first night card ever made was probably in the 1953 set. I just read about it last month.
ME: Well, we have a new champion.
YOU: Besides, Satchel Paige didn't even have a card in the '52 set. His first Topps card was in the '53 set. Card No. 220. What number is this card?
ME: It's No. 408.
YOU: 408! There are only 407 cards in the set!
ME: Well, that's probably why I never noticed this card before.
YOU: Let me see the back of that card.
ME: No.
YOU: Let me see it!
ME: No!
YOU: Then I'm just gonna take ...
ME: Quit it!
YOU: Let me see!
ME: Stop grabbing! Are you out of your mind? This card is almost 60 years old! It's an antique!
YOU: @#$@%@
ME: Maniac.
YOU: Liar.
ME: Stop trying to debunk everything. You take the fun out of everything. ... Anyway, I can't believe this find. You'll notice the card is in pretty good shape. The corners are rounded but not terribly so. And I have it in a penny sleeve, although I should really get it in one of those screwdowns.
YOU: (*grumble, grumble*)
ME: You'll notice that the artist painted the bank of lights behind the scoreboard. And the time on the clock appears to be about 10 after 10 in the evening. Perhaps Satchel was taking a break while warming up in the bullpen, preparing to enter the game. Must've been an extra-inning affair. Games didn't last that long back then.
YOU: Hey! I think I've seen this card before.
ME: No you haven't.
YOU: Yeah, it's one of those Punk Rocky thingies.
ME: You mean PunkRockPaint? Show some respect.
YOU: Yeah. PunkRockPaint. I just saw it on his blog the other day.
ME: You didn't see this one.
YOU: He created that card! There's no '52 Topps Satchel Paige night card! There's no No. 408!
ME: Well, yeah. I guess you got me there.
YOU: Ha!
ME: It's actually from the '52 PunkRockPaint set. Travis was nice enough to send me a preview.
YOU: It's a cool card.
ME: It sure is. It's wickedly awesome.
YOU: I'm never believing anything you write again.
ME: Your loss. I actually have one Topps '52 card. I'll show it on this blog someday.
YOU: I'll believe it when I see it.

Thanks Mr. Paint!

Comments

Wax Heaven said…
Wait a minute. A complete complete set or a complete minus Mantle set?
Wax Heaven said…
See... I got excited before finishing the blog.

I'll never believed anything you write again.
Dinged Corners said…
Mr. Paint rocks, truly and punkishly. I like the dialogue because you captured us, the collective blog people, right down to our happy churlishness.
Andy said…
I really enjoy your blog, but there is one small problem. My blog reader has a white background, and when you use these colored texts (the yellow especially) they are really tough to read over there. It's actually enough to make me skip reading any post of yours that has that text...
night owl said…
All right, Andy, I altered it a little bit. Hopefully that's a little easier to read in Google reader, while still being able to follow on my site.

I'm just trying to stay true to my blog format. I don't use Google reader regularly. I prefer to click on links to get the flavor of everyone's blog. So I forget about the whole white background thing. I'll keep it in mind for the future.
Andy said…
Noted and appreciated.
--David said…
I have never laughed so hard at an imaginary conversation with you in my life. Oh, and I'll never believe anything you or PRP says ever again. So there! I'm taking my toys and going home.

Speaking of toys, I can't remember - did you get the cards i sent ya?
night owl said…
Yup, David, I got the box. I showed a picture of it a couple of posts ago.

The cards in it are definitely a two-parter post! I hope to show the first part in the wee hours tonight. Thanks again!