Skip to main content

162-0, and other impossibilities

I believe I owe Mr. Kuroda an apology. Because, in a public forum -- specifically in the comments on this blog -- I doubted his ability to defeat the Padres. Oh, me of little faith.

As everyone knows by now, Kuroda handcuffed the Padres for 5 2/3 innings, Matt Kemp swatted a home run, and James Loney hit a two-run single to kick off the Dodgers' first 162-0 season!

Yeah, I know, I just went from giving them not enough credit to giving them too much credit. But I am a fan. That's what fans do.

I didn't get to see any of the game, since I was at work. Earlier, I did get to see plenty of other games. I watched some of the Mets-Reds, Pirates-Cardinals, Rockies-Diamondbacks, Nationals-Marlins, Yankees-Orioles, and Indians-Rangers. I don't have the MLB Extra Innings package. But I take full advantage of the free preview weeks.

So, in lieu of missing out on the Dodgers' 4-1 victory, I am going to show some of what I received in Thorzul's Cheapie Group Break from a couple of weeks back. You can see a couple of the cards I received here. I received 70 or so Dodgers for a mere $5.25. Impossible you say? Ah, my little turnip root, haven't you been reading this blog long enough to know that anything is possible when it comes to cards?

The cards arrived at my home wrapped in newspaper. And the newspaper featured a happy little account of something that let's just say you usually see on CSI. One of the really unpleasant episodes. It certainly balanced out the thrill of receiving cards in the mail.

But after taking a hot shower, telling my family how much I loved them, playing ball with the neighbor kids, and teaching the dog how to tear out the neck of a threatening stranger, I felt better about the world again and returned to my cards.

Here is Nomar looking particularly regal on his 2006 Bowman card. Garciaparra went 0-for-4 in his debut for Oakland last night.

I might have to make it a requirement to show every 2004 Bowman Heritage card, which means I'll have to show every 1955 Bowman card, since that's the set that Heritage is copying. So, by all means, send the 1955 Bowman Dodgers my way.

I'm showing another Eric Gagne card, because it appears as if he is hurling a ball nearly 100 miles an hour toward the batter with HIS EYES CLOSED. Impossible?

Look closer. Doesn't it look like his eyes are shut? Do some pitchers briefly shut their eyes before they release a pitch? It's mildly alarming.

I received a few 1993 Score Select Traded cards, which I appreciate because I've never seen them before. And this is Pedro, so I appreciate it all the more. Someday, on this blog, I am going to list my 100 favorite players of all-time (sure, go ahead, you can steal my idea if you want). Pedro will definitely be very high on the list. He's great. I'm sad that he's not pitching this year.
I know I'm not supposed to like these Play Ball cards. They're not very well designed. But I can't help but love a Nomo card. And he's No. 1 in the set, too.

Two super rare Moments & Milestons cards of Gary Sheffield (How, do I know they're rare? Because they're NUMBERED right up at the top. Guard these with your lives!)

Just when I was starting to come around on the Mets, they had to pick up Sheffield. Minaya is just tossing good will out the window. Or maybe it was David Wright, since apparently he was the one who convinced Sheffield to become a Met.

A quartet of Co-Signers cards from 2006. These are my first glimpse of the '06 set. They're, um, different.

Finally, the biggest impossibility of all. A Jeff Kent card I actually want! This is one of the last 2008 Upper Deck Dodgers cards that I need.

Now, all that's left is Jonathan Broxton. Interestingly, Broxton was the first 2008 Topps Dodger that I pulled.

So, there you are, some Dodger cards to celebrate the Dodgers winning their first game of the season.

I just hope I have enough Dodgers to celebrate the other 161 wins.

Comments

beardy said…
thanks for the heads up about the MLB extra innings preview week. at least i can watch baseball while looking for a job.