Skip to main content

Forgotten favorites

While tons of collectors are waiting for the next 2009 release, and bloggers are cracking blasters of '09 Topps Heritage every which way, I feel a bit sheepish talking about this. So I'll say it in a low, quiet voice.

(Pssst. Don't tell anybody, but I'm still collecting 2008 products).

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. All of you still trying to complete 2008 Heritage, put your hands in the air. Yeah, I knew there were a few of you. Stay strong, people! Be proud. Don't let the glitz and glam of '09 make you feel ashamed. Finish off those '08 sets!

As I've mentioned many times before, I am still trying to complete the 2008 Heritage set. I am also still trying to finish off the World's Greatest Victories subset in '08 Allen & Ginter. I know there are a few collectors that probably think I'm nuts.

"Get on Sportlots or eBay and pick up the cards you need," they're saying. "Get on with it, man!"

Well, yeah, I'd do that, except for two things. The first is money. It's kind of important, you know. I can only budget so much to cards, and often times that cash will go toward the cards that I can instantly see and touch and taste (OK, scratch that last one), down at Blasters R Us.

Secondly, I kind of like trading through the mail for the cards. Yeah, it takes longer to finish a set that way. But it's beyond cool. And it may save me some money in the process (or may not, I haven't hashed out the whole shipping cost thing).

So, fortunately, there are traders like Duane out there who understand my plight and have some spare 2008 cards lying around.

Like these three, for instance. They can't possibly mean anything to anyone who isn't a Rays, White Sox or Brewers collector. Except for a certain set collector who needed each of these cards.


And Duane sent along these two World's Greatest Victories cards to help me with that subset. These two really fit the WGV definition. Kind of puts that whole Kerri Strug flip thing in its place.

And here are a bunch of 2009 Topps Series I that I needed. I'm even behind on this set a little as a few bloggers have wrapped it up already. I hope to do the same in another week or two. By the way, Jeff of Card Junkie is just awesome with this set. He thinks nothing of sending you one or two cards at a time if he knows you're collecting the set.
And here's a set I'm working on that is 18 years old. Duane got me a card closer to completing the 1991 set with this Willie Wilson card.

Meanwhile, reader Dave R. got me four more cards closer.




I now need just two cards to complete the 1991 set. And both of those should be on their way to me soon.

But they're not coming from Sportlots or eBay. They're coming from another blogger. For me, that's the most enjoyable way to complete a set.

Comments

gcrl said…
hey greg. i responded to your comment on my post today about sheffield. take a look at the last sentence very carefully. i did a frank deford thing.
Jeffrey Wolfe said…
No prob Greg, doubles were made to be sent to fellow bloggers. =)