Skip to main content

Rare morning post

I'm not up in the morning very often. The only times I am are when I have to adjust to the rest of the world's schedule (doctor's appointment, car repair appointment, travel plans), or when I can't sleep. In this case it's the latter.

So I figured I'd do some blog housekeeping, as it's probably the only thing I'm coherent enough to handle in the morning, and I've got a few this-and-thats to mention.

First, I'm adding a few more "Define the Design" entries on the sidebar. I'm not asking for you to name these as they're too easy. Plus I'm kind of rationing my cards these days, so no contest this time.

For the 1965 Topps set, I'm going with "the pennant set." I like this set a lot, one of my favorites of the '60s. I may collect it some day. For everything 1965 Topps, check out this site. Although I'm sure you know it well already.

The name I've chosen for the '65 set means "the pennant set" is off the board, and you'll have to come up with something else for the 1980 Topps set. But we'll figure that out later.

Next, two easy-to-name sets from the early Donruss era. Here is the 1982 Donruss design, also known as the "bat-and-ball" set. A simple name for a simple design.

And, logic dictates that the 1983 Donruss set will be called the "bat-and-glove" set. An unoriginal title for an unoriginal design. I remember opening my first packs of '83 Donruss, looking at the basic repeat of the '82 design and going, "OK, that's it for buying '83 Donruss for the year."

Also, I think people are being far too light on Donruss for producing a ton of backs during the '80s that looked identical to the previous year, except for a color change. That, where I come from, is called "mailing it in." That's one of the reasons I could never understand the fascination with '87 Donruss, or really any non-1981 Donruss set from the '80s (except 1984 Donruss. You just leave that set alone).

While I'm talking about the sidebar on the blog, I'll let you know I've added a "Dodger Player of the Game" category down toward the bottom. For each Dodger win (a Dodger doesn't deserve to be a "Player of the Game" during a loss), I will pick a Player of the Game and add it to the list. For example, Manny Ramirez was last night's Player of the Game.

I would like to add a picture in the category of the latest player to be picked, but I can't figure out on blogger how to do that. All I can find is adding a picture with a caption. But I need a list. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Also, I'm looking to condense some of my regular features into one handy link, so that you can click on, say, "Awesome Night Card" and get all the night card posts. That will tidy up the sidebar a little. But I'm computer incompetent and can't figure out how to do that. Anyone have any ideas? I saw something similar on White Sox Cards and wonder if that's the way to go.

Lastly, something that doesn't have anything to do with all of the above. Does this bother anyone else? For years, Topps would put the number of the card on the left side of the back of the card, like this:

This was very handy. When you put the cards in sheets and then in binders, the number would correspond to the top left front of the card. So if you were looking for a certain card number, all you would have to do is pull the card out of its sheet only part way and find the number.

But for the last few years, Topps has switched the positioning of the number. Now it is on the right side of the back of the card, like so:

(I hope you can see it). Now, when the card is in a binder and you want to see the card number, you have to pull the card all the way out of the sheet to look at it. To me that's an annoyance.

Now for all of you fancy high rollers who don't conserve sheets and have just nine cards to a sheet instead of 18, this isn't a problem. But it is for me.

And for the rest of you who say, "THIS is what you're complaining about?" I'll just shut up now.

So, there's your morning post. I hope it made sense. Now, where's my caffeine?

Comments

dayf said…
We'll have to agree to disagree on Donruss as I think the standardized Donruss backs were a mark of consistency, not laziness. I was kind of disappointed when they changed in '92 even though it pretty much had to happen at that point. I also think '85 and '87 Donruss are way better than '84. I have some emotional attachments to '83 Donruss so maybe that's why I'm sour on the '84 set.

Blogger stuff:
Dodger of the Game - use a picture with a caption gizmo for the current player of the game then put a list widget of past winners underneath. It takes two modules, but I think that's what you're looking for.

Tidying up the sidebar - You can condense all the posts into one link by doing this:
1) make sure all the posts have the same label (i.e Define the Design) go back and add the label to posts that don't have it.
2)Click on the label at the bottom of the post and get the URL (http://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/search/label/Define%20the%20design) and save it somewhere.
3) create a link list and use that label URL as the link.

Now you can click on that one link and get all Define the Design posts. You can see it in action on my "The 792" link on my sidebar.

Card numbers are also a pet peeve on mine. I am not happy with the placement or the unreadability of this year's numbering system. Numbers need to be readable at a base minimum, and should preferably be located on the top or left of the card. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to sort a bunch of cards with an unreadable number in an inconvenient corner.

Protip- When you're double bagging your cards in plastic sheets and you need to check the card number on the bottom, pull out the card on the other side a bit and look at the number through the sheet.
night owl said…
1. Donruss backs: Yeah, I do disagree. I think both fronts and backs need to be changed each year. I also like '85 Donruss, just not as much as '84.

2. Dodger of Game: I thought of that, I'm not sure if I want 2 different modules. But that's what I may have to do.

3. Sidebar links: Duh. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

4. Pro-tip on reading numbers thru plastic sheets: Double duh. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks again.
Jeffrey Wolfe said…
I echo Dayf's sentiments on Donruss. I don't why but as a kid I loved Donruss' card backs except for only 5 years of stats. I wish they were vertical then they could have fit them all in, like they did on Nolan Ryan's '90 card. I too was disappointed when Topps, Donruss and Fleer radically altered their cards in '92 although like Dayf said, by that point they had too after Upper Deck kicked their asses for three years. Of the years I collected Donruss hard core ('88-'95) I think my favorite sets were '94,'89,'90 and '95 in that order.
Jeffrey Wolfe said…
Oh and I am fanatical about easy to read card numbers too! That's the one thing I hated about completing Topps this year.
GCA said…
Yeah, this year's Topps set is going to make me go blind. They should use the white lettering on the dark blue and red backs!!
It's also frustrating when they place the numbers so you have to flip a stack of cards around twice to be able to sift through them.
jacobmrley said…
the topps numbers drove me nuts in collation, maybe they will slightly up the fontage for series 2.

and maybe i'm showing off, but if a set starts in the upper left, i can do the math (of base nine) and just by the number of pages know immediately what card number a certain one is, position on the back be damned. yes, i have been doing this a long time. yes, i am also a dork.
dayf said…
Yep, card collectors know our number 9 multiplication tables quite well...