Skip to main content

I'll make an exception ...

I rarely feature football cards on this blog. And with the way the NFL is going, with it's death, destruction, mayhem and general criminal activity everywhere you turn, I could be leaving the whole thing behind very soon.

But I must feature this card, which I received in a very generous package today. I'll be showing some of the other contents in the next few days.

It's the Jackie Robinson card from the 2009 Topps Magic football set that apparently has just hit the shelves somewhere. Isn't that cool?

Now, if you're into football cards and this homage to the original 1951 Topps Magic set, I suggest you head over to Cardboard Junkie, as I believe he's going to have a pack-or-box-or-something rip shortly. Also vote in the theme music poll. There are all kinds of magical songs to select.

But after seeing this card, I already know what music fits best with it:

Oh-HO-HO ... It's Magic!

(Thanks, Joe!)

Comments

Jeremy said…
Those cards look really cool. I can't wait until they start stocking them around here. I'm really hoping to get my hands on that Adrian Peterson card!
Tom said…
Yeah..."mayhem and general criminal activity" is pretty accurate. I sometimes wonder if having a criminal history is mandatory in football.

I'll add my name to the list for a Peterson card. I had a chance to meet him two weeks ago. I didn't have a card for him to sign...so I stayed home. He's a local kid, so there'll be other chances.
Thanks for posting the Robinson; I hadn't seen it before. I'll have to look for other examples of the modern set.

The "magic" part of the original 1951 Topps Magic cards is a scratch-off section on the back that reveals a picture of the player's school. Do the modern cards have the same scratch-off section?
night owl said…
No, nearmint, they don't. Or at least the Robinson one doesn't.

It's odd because it mentions on the back to "scratch off for answer below," and shows a map of California with L.A. highlighted, but there is no scratch-off area. At least that I wasn't able to tell with a quick glance (I don't have the card with me right now).