Skip to main content

The NL West doesn't suck anymore

I was just marveling over Tim Lincecum's recent shutout string and some of the awesome stats he's accumulated this season (141 Ks, 30 walks). And I want you to stop and consider the earth-shaking nature of what I just said.

Because I never marvel over anything the Giants do. Ever. I'm usually too busy wishing that they drop dead, hoping they'll dig a six-foot hole and bury themselves with 162 losses. I'm usually laughing at their inept franchise and raging over their obnoxious personalities. But I'm having a hard time disliking Lincecum.

And over the last week I've noted that the Giants are playing pretty good ball. As a Dodger fan that concerns me. The Rockies are playing pretty decently, too. And that also concerns me. And I'm starting to realize that there may be a pennant race in the NL West. A pennant race involving teams that are actually good.

That means for the first time in a long time the NL West doesn't suck.

I'm tired of people dumping on the NL West. "The only reason the Dodgers are any good is because the rest of the division stinks." I've heard that a few times.

But the Dodgers and Giants have the two best records in the National League. The Rockies have the sixth best. The division ain't that bad. In fact, I'd say it's better than the NL Central, which has the Brewers and Albert Pujols and that's about it.

Which means some OTHER division is the worst in the National League. And because it's my blog, I'm going to say, rather happily, that division is the NL East. Walking in pitchers with the winning run, forgetting to chase after errant throws, dropping easy pop-ups. And that's just the Mets. And this is the division that's often looking down on the NL West.

So, I'm quite enjoying this turn of affairs. I hope it continues.

Now I know there is some jerk-off American League fan who is saying, "Well ANY American League team could beat your BEST National League team. All you have to do is look at interleague play. Snnnnooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrttttt." (Jerk-off American League fans always snort).

And I'll just say: my team isn't playing for the best record in interleague play. I'll talk to you in October.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad to see you're on the Lincy train. I got to see him pitch two weeks ago in Oakland. Amazing.

Your admiration for him is acceptable under the man rules. It's like Red Sox fans who respect Derek Jeter -- you just have too.
Anonymous said…
Hmmmm.... I don't know about the NL East suck fest your talking about because The Marlins are playing some great ball right now and are tied for 1st place...I think its the NL Central that sucks, like you said Pujols and the brew krew and that its! You might even see the MVP from the NL come from the east my boy Hanley! And the Mets have always sucked!!
Captain Canuck said…
the two teams with the best record in interleague play, are in the NL East. (Florida and Atlanta)
and besides, American League teams don't play real baseball, just some bastardized easier version so the slow of thought don't have to try to figure out sac bunting and double switches.
Offy said…
It's amazing to see what the Giants have been able to do since getting rid of team cancer Barry Bonds. The team actually wins when Matt Cain pitches well and now they've got a heck of a 1-2 punch in the rotation.