Skip to main content

Random niceness

I've been the recipient of several "out of the blue" card packages lately. It's quite an honor when someone pulls a card and automatically thinks, "the dude over at Night Owl Cards would like this card."

That is apparently what happened when Paul of Paul's Random Stuff pulled this black-bordered O-Pee-Chee card of Clayton Kershaw. It arrived in a happy little envelope today. "I thought you might not have this one," the note said. Paul, you thought correctly. Another Kershaw for the collection.

This card is awfully similar to one of the Timeline Kershaw cards from last year, and possibly one of the Documentary cards. There is a fine post on Wrigley Wax about this. It's a good reason to stick with collecting just one set per card company, especially when it comes to Upper Deck. Because the company obviously doesn't have enough photos to go around. (But I've also addressed the repetition with Topps and Bowman, too).

Speaking of Topps, Scott of Hand Collated sent me some more Series 2 needs. I really need to complete this set before I get lost in Allen & Ginter mania. But I have a feeling I'll be trying to complete both at the same time.

Here are several of the cards he sent:

Frankie Rodriguez. Wondering what he got himself into.

Micah Owings. Doing his "this is what I look like when I pitch without a ball" pose.

Ervin "Don't call me Johan because I changed my name to Ervin so people wouldn't confuse me with Johan" Santana.

Jason Marquis. It's starting to feel like 2007 again when I can't figure out how the Rockies keep winning.

Nick Swisher. Topps goes Sesame Street on us by showing us "FAR" ...

... and NEAR." This card is bizarrely wonderful.

Randy Winn. I wonder if Giants fans are upset that almost all of their players in Series 2 are shown with shadows across their face.

Desert Power. Upton & Young. Anything picturing the Diamondbacks these days makes me laugh out loud. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (last place!) AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (you thought you were going to contend!) AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Skip Schumacher. Skip, not certain if he was drawing enough people's attention with a name like "Skip," decided to wear his socks really high.

Kerry Wood. Going from the Cubs to the Indians. That's what's known as a lateral move.

Aaron Heilman. Apparently, he wasn't miserable enough with the Mets. He ended up with a franchise that may never get to another World Series, let alone win one.

Scott is also threatening me to send a bunch of 1988 Score because -- get this -- I asked for them. What kind of glue have I been sniffing? Scott, you're too kind. I think.
Meanwhile, this fine card is from Steve of The Easy Life. I think Steve sent it just so he could say he was sending me "a big Johnson." Bless you, Steve.

No, actually, I was interested in the card and Steve promptly sent it out! Charles Johnson had a lousy time with the Dodgers, but this is a fine jersey card. I prefer the jersey shapes that actually resemble something baseball-y. A diamond is about as baseball as you can get.
Finally, another treat from Joe. He's the guy who sent me a bunch of Triple Threads and Sterling cards. Fantastic goodies. Then, while opening his only Topps cereal box, he pulled the Jackie chrome refractor card. Again, someone thought of Night Owl and sent it my way. What good eggs you all are.

This is just some of the random niceness. I'll be showing some more soon. I also hope to get some more card packages together for you good people. I have five straight days of work coming up before I go on vacation. So that may slow things a bit.

But thanks everyone!

Comments

Captain Canuck said…
ooh... had the razor sharp wit working tonight... love it!