Skip to main content

Something to tide you ... uh ... me over

A box of 2009 Allen & Ginter is in my possession. And I'll warn you right away: I make no apologies for drooling over these cards. If these aren't your thing, if you have issues with mascot autographs and DNA relics of Richard Nixon, then you're staring at the wrong blog. Because I'll defend all of the cards in this set as if they're members of my family.

However, I have no time to show any of them. Two jam-packed days of fun-filled work are waiting for me. Maybe, if I pull something wonderful, I'll throw up a quick one-card post. But the full-fledged Gint-a-Cuffs compilation posts are going to have to wait until next week.

So, I thought I'd show three cards I received from The Mojo Hand instead. Mojo, er, Jay is an expert in all things shiny, paralleled and scribbled on. And he is quite generous indeed.

So, here they are:

A 2009 Goudey relic of Matt Kemp, who was beat out of a spot in the All-Star Game by the fan voting when Shane Victorino was selected. I can live with the choice of Victorino. His stats are good and the fans have spoken. But then Charlie Manuel goes and picks another Phillie, Jayson "let's strike out a few more times" Werth, to replace the injured Carlos Beltran.

Four Phillies on the team not enough for you, Charlie? Just for that, I might have Jonathan Broxton blow the game on July 14.

An autographed 2008 Bowman Chrome card of Blake DeWitt. You'll notice Blue Cap Spectator Man sitting on the left side of the card. I think I have more cards of Blue Cap Spectator Man than I have of certain star players from the 1970s.

Finally, a 2008 Sweet Spot autographed card of Chad Billingsley. Jay warned me about the faded signature. It doesn't bother me at all. Probably because I find these cards quite odd. I barely consider them cards. But it's still cool in a "where's the photo of the athlete -- oh, there he is" kind of way.

So there. Some fancy cards to distract you ... uh ... me from my box of something or other. ...

PEEK-A-BOO!

Ah, yes, Allen & Ginter. Just gotta wait a little bit longer.

(Thanks, Mojo!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't necessarily share your sentiments on A&G, but that's neither here nor there. But I DO agree with your statement about UD Sweet Spot. I like them and all, but they can hardly be considered baseball cards. I wouldn't even know how to store one of those glove/ball looking signed cards if I pulled one.

Not a problem I've had to worry about though, since the only pack I've ever bought of the stuff had just a swatch card, which fits nicely into a slightly thicker top loader.
Anonymous said…
I, too, am waiting to dig into my A&G and post about it. Just a few more days.. *rubs hands*.