Skip to main content

Department store memories

Has anyone here ever worked for the company featured on the front of a baseball card?

Now, if you didn't have the ability to scroll down this post, or blasted Blogger didn't feature the first image on everyone's post in the dashboard, then you'd assume I was talking about working for Topps or Upper Deck or one of those cool card companies.

But actually, I'm talking about working for barely above minimum wage at a department store. I spent one summer in college working a second job at Hills, which was a discount-type store, pretty much like Kmart. It no longer exists. Ames bought it out in 1999. Then Ames went bankrupt three years later.

I worked for another department store before I moved away to college. Enjoyed my time there immensely. Quite the social scene. But that department store doesn't exist anymore either. Apparently, these stores just couldn't function after I left them.

Anyway, here's the card that features the store I'm talking about:

I never knew there was a Hills set. This came out in 1989, which was three years after I worked for the store (incidentally, if I ever hear Jermaine Stewart's "We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off (To Have a Good Time)," I instantly think of working at Hills. Don't get any ideas -- no monkey business in the changing room. It was just a popular song when I was working there, and it played on the P.A. system).

This card was sent to me by reader Noah, along with a host of Dodgers. It's much appreciated. Noah is yet another Mets fan. For the life of me, I can't figure out why there are so many Mets fans left, but I admire their sticktoitiveness. Your dedication will be rewarded. I think. Eventually. Maybe in my lifetime. Hey, at least you're not a Royals fan.

Anyway, here are a few more cards that he sent:
Not a good one to start it off. Furcal could bring down the entire Dodger team if he doesn't figure how to use what he is holding in his hand there.

"Masked Marauders." Hee-hee. What a bizarrely great title. It doesn't have anything to do with anything! How about "Flesh-Eating Zombie Backstops"? Pretty much the same thing.

Here is Piazza taking a break from being a "Masked Marauder." You've got to love Fleer's photos. "Let's get a photo of Piazza in mid-sip!"

The best goggles in the history of baseball cards? The worst goggles in the history of baseball cards?

Yikes, is this what Topps Finest looked like in 2005? It has a big-time "Twilight Zone" feel. Not terribly attractive for a card front. I believe Kent is actually wearing an Astros uniform on this card.

Here is yet another card featuring Topps' fascination with isobars. But aside from Topps displaying its inner "weather junkie," the design actually contributes to a pretty neat little set. I like the 2005 Rookie Cup set quite a bit.

Here are two more that Noah sent. Considering how many Dodgers have been named Rookie of the Year, there must've been a bunch of Dodgers in this set. I haven't bothered to look them up.

More Nomo goodness. This is one of Hideo's early cards, and it's a cool shot of him peaking over his shoulder. The rookie logo on the Select certified cards make me think of Sunoco stations.

Lastly, a 1997 SPX "card" of Raul Mondesi. Someone went a little crazy with the die-cut machine.

Thanks for all the cards Noah. I'll start scrounging for Mets now.

Comments

SpastikMooss said…
woah! I just got a Jim Rice Hills card from Tribe Cards...and it's amazing. Didn't even realize it was a store.
Unknown said…
Well, it's not quite the same thing, but I have several Braves cards (Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and John Rocker, to be specific) that are actual Boy Scouts of America cards, that you could only get by being a Cub/Boy Scout in the southeast at the time. Which I was.
capewood said…
There were a lot of cards like this in the 1980s. K-Mart, Hills, Rite-Aid, K-Bee Toys, Toys R Us, etc. They pop up in repacks a lot. I like getting these. I've never seen the Hills before.
Orioles Magic said…
Dude! I worked at Hills too. Shoe dept was my place. It wasn't very difficult at all and my boss was really cool, so it was a perfect job for a high schooler.
zman40 said…
At least the Royals have the largest HD vidoe board in the Major Leagues. That way, when there is a rain delay, we can watch a competitive ballgame in style!