Skip to main content

Like nails on a chalkboard ...

I received this card in the mail the other day. Actually, I received a bunch of them. I'll show them at some point later. They're cool. But I wanted to show one of them now to mention something that maybe someone out there understands:

The card creeps me out.

No offense, Gil Hodges. It doesn't have anything to do with you. It has to do with that blue patch on the left side of the card. All of the cards from this Upper Deck Legends of New York set from 2001 have that blue patch. It consists of some sort of material. It feels much like a carpet sample.

And it gives me the willies.

Touching material like that always sent shivers down my spine. Certain carpets, certain stuffed animals, certain blankets. I never would have made it in the 1960s with all the shag rugs everywhere. Cotton balls are the absolute WORST. I don't think I've touched a cotton ball since 1982. Just thinking about it weirds me out.

The feeling is the same feeling that others get when they hear chalk or an eraser squeak on a chalkboard. Or hearing about someone chewing tin foil. When I was in school, if someone made chalk squeak, two dozen voices would utter, "ewwwwwwwwwww." But I'd sit there peacefully. It didn't bother me one bit. It still doesn't.

Some joker would always scratch their nails on the chalkboard to get a reaction. That didn't bother me either. But nails on a rug? (*shiver*).

I know it's completely psychological. And I need to get over it. But, for now, the only way to handle these cards is very delicately. Sliding them into pages in a binder is going to be the closest thing I get to performing surgery. I will be executing that maneuver verrrrrrrry carrrrrrefully.

Now, you can stop looking at me weirdly. I'm sure you have hang-ups, too. In fact I know you do. Bug-haters.

Comments

Captain Canuck said…
dude... you need to see someone... seriously.

;)
Chalkboards bother me...these cards don't. There is one thing worse--those little wooden spoons you sometimes get with ice cream....I can't handle that. Maybe I need to see someone!
Wow, as I was reading this post I was cringing to myself about my personal shag rag-the wooden spoon. Wow, Brian, you are just as crazy as I!
Anonymous said…
I'm going to send you some cotton balls next time....lmao