Skip to main content

So long, Cecil Celester

Everyone probably knows by now that the Astros fired their manager Cecil Cooper yesterday. It was all over the blogs.

Actually it wasn't all over the blogs. Unless you substitute the name "Goodwin" with the name "Cooper," THEN it was all over the blogs. And depending on who you read, either Cooper stacks up well with Allen & Ginter or Cooper's cardboard is flimsy and he looks too much like that scary 2009 Goudey.

Anyway, the only reason that the news of Cooper's firing struck me is I've always been a fan of Cecil Cooper. I mentioned it when I did a Cardboard Appreciation on this card:

It's the card that made me a fan of Cecil Celester for life.

But Cooper intrigued me for one other reason this year. In the past few months, some bloggers have posted about how much success they have had getting Cooper's autograph. There were glowing reports of Cooper's cooperation and Cooper seemed to go the extra yard by personalizing some of his autographs.

That interested me quite a bit because of something I read a long time ago. It was a team-by-team breakdown of the autographing habits of baseball players at the time, which was in the early 1980s.

Here is what they said about Cecil Cooper. I highlighted it in red:

If you can't read the type, click on the image. But isn't that interesting?

Cooper apparently went from a snappy, uncooperative player -- his smile apparently belied his behavior with fans -- to a responsive, cooperative manager who signed regularly despite having one of the most difficult jobs in baseball. People change or people's situations change, and I guess that's what happened here.

Hope to see you around again, Coop.

Comments

jacobmrley said…
I got a sweet cooper sig on a 1988 Topps card; he turned it around about 9 days.
Andy said…
I got one on a 1986 Topps, hanging in my office. He made it out to my company's name, actually, heh. (I'm the owner.)

This firing really saddened me. I like the guy and in a bit of Rush Limbaugh reverse racism, really want to see black and other minority managers succeed.
Tom said…
I guess the number of Cooper cards wearing an Astros jersy has been cut short. I don't imagine I'll have to difficult of a choice in deciding which ones to send off to have signed.

Good luck to you, Mr. Cooper!
gcrl said…
i just posted about my ttm success with cooper. good times.
Honestly this is the first I have heard of his firing. I was in a plum-induced-coma yesterday... Good luck Cecil!
SpastikMooss said…
In some non Coop related stuff, just wanted to let you know that the 3 McGriffs you sent arrived today. I needed all three, and the donruss made me realize that I had incorrectly labeled the '95 leaf, so now I've got that straightened out too. Thanks so much for your help, I hope that I have some night cards in the stuff at my parents house so that I can send you some!
Anthony K. said…
As a Stros fan, I am not sure how i feel about this.

On one hand, he was a likeable guy, with a cool head.

On the other, he was, well, barely above average (171-170 in Houston).

I wish him well, but not 100% sure I will miss him.
Orioles Magic said…
Where did you find that article about the players' signing habits? It's awesome. Is there any way you could send me the section on the Orioles?
night owl said…
It's from an old Baseball Cards magazine. I still have it. I'll find the Orioles part and make a copy and send it. I've got your email.
Tony said…
Player's signing habits sometimes change when they retire. I have received lots of players who probably never would have signed "back in the day". Gregg Jeffries, Bret Saberhagen, Will Clark, Lee Smith, Matt Williams etc. It's too bad about Coop, he was a great signer with the Astros. I once sent him a photo of himself and Phil Garner standing in the dugout, and it came back signed by both gentlemen. PS I would be interested in seeing the whole article you talked about. How about a post about it?