Skip to main content

Here's what would make me like Upper Deck more than Topps

I'm serious about this. If Upper Deck wants any chance of me buying more product than Topps next year, it needs to embrace its lack of an MLB license. And I mean EMBRACE it. Maybe plant a few big, sloppy kisses on it, too.

And for me, embracing means showing that you don't have a license with pride. Don't worry about picturing a side view of the player, trying to hide the logo on the helmet or the words on the uniform, that stealth crap that Donruss did. Instead, advertise that you don't have a license for all the world to see.

Wouldn't it be great if Upper Deck's cards next year looked like these Milton Bradley cards from 1984? That means not only featuring the photoshopped logo front and center, but designing the card in bright, gaudy colors and throwback designs.

I know I've said that I'd have a hard time being interested in a set that doesn't show MLB logos, but going all out with something like this -- that's an idea I can appreciate.

I've always gotten the perception from Upper Deck that it considered itself too good for Topps or whatever card company that was out there. UD had the superior photos and holograms and full-bleed design, etc. They seemed to kind of lord it over everyone. Well, UD, that's not a very attractive personality trait.

So, show that you can party with the beer and hot dog crowd. Make your flagship set look like an oddball, unlicensed set from the mid-1980s. Maybe you'd turn off, oh, a few collectors, but I'll be buying your cards like they're gold bricks. And I'll tell all my friends, too.

These three Milton Bradley cards were sent to me as part of trade with Doc of Baseball Card Recollections. He sent all kinds of odd-ball stuff, which is great because I think those might be the best cards of all.

Among them were some O-Pee-Chee Dodgers from the '80s, which aren't all that odd, since it was the main card company based in Canada, but they sure were strange to us American kids.

Here, it's hard to tell it's an O-Pee-Chee card. The logo is in green by Fernando's right foot.

I like this Kraft Singles Superstars unlicensed card, too. It's one of those pop-up deals. That's another idea, Upper Deck. Make a pop-up subset in 2010.

Here are the directions to make your Piazza pop up. I feel like I'm giving people instructions on making a bomb. Don't do this! Keep your precious million dollar Kraft singles pop-up card intact!

There's the rundown on the set. Unfortunately, the offer to buy the set expired 15 years ago. I like how they limited you to five orders per family.

This is the first Mothers Cookies card I've ever owned. Living in the Northeast, or at least New York, you hear nothing about Mother's Cookies. I never knew what it was until I read some collecting catalogue. I'm happy to see this photo was taken in Dodger Stadium.

I have little chance of obtaining that 1952 Topps Andy Pafko card, so I have to find Pafko cards in a Dodger uniform wherever I can. This is from the 1989 Pacific set.

Here's another of one of the Dodgers' overlooked strong starters from the late '60s/early '70s.


Doc sent me a handful of these oddly shaped L.A. Police and Fire cards. I really need to buy some pages that fit cards like these. I'm starting to accumulate various stacks in random areas of my home.

Ending it with another Pedro Guerrero card. This is the only card from the 1984 Drake's Big Hitters set that I wanted.

Thanks for all the quirky cards, Doc!

And Upper Deck, think about what I said, OK? If you go through with it, don't forget about who came up with the great idea.

Comments

BASEBALL DAD said…
I love the oddball stuff too.I'm always searching the 10 cent boxes at shows for little known gems.
chris OK said…
I don't know, I think UD should go the Studio style or normal clothes route. I may buy some then but airbrushing logos off a normal picture, I just don't like it
stusigpi said…
Just as the 2008 D-threads set is not set that anyone wants to collect, I doubt the UD set will be any different. I do love those unlicensed 80's sets.
Captain Canuck said…
another thing UD should do... forget the normal distribution network.
Just stuff the cards in cereal boxes, cookie tins, twinkees, and whatever other foods they can find...
night owl said…
See? Now you've got it, Captain.

I'm telling you, UD's got to do something awfully drastic for me to even care about anything they do next year.
Doc said…
You're welcome for the cards. I found a ton more odd ball cards during my "inventory" process. So, you can expect some more in the upcoming weeks.

Odd sets include: Twinkee, Hostess, Bazooka, Kellogs, Mothers Cookies, Drakes 81 to 85, Post, Long John Silvers, Cracker Jacks, 89 Panini stickers, tons of Fleer sticker cards, Big League Chew, Woolworths, etc.

I'll have to fill that box you sent me with Dodgers and send it back to you...or my wife will kill me!
tastelikedirt said…
I think your on to something here.