Skip to main content

The last new items you're going to see for awhile

I have an idea for the topics of my next four or five posts, and they are all related to older cards. Vintage cards. Mature cards. Cards that have been around the block a few times. Cards that will tell you to "listen to your father."

So this is your last opportunity to see something shiny for a little bit. Unless I get lucky and pull something freakin' awesome. But that sound you hear is my wallet crying softly, so that's not going to happen.

These are some cards from Ed at Roll Out the Barrel. I saw a card I wanted and Ed knew what to do from there. Next thing I knew, there were Dodgers in the mailbox.

Here is the card that I wanted. I have yet to see any 2009 SP Authentic in my area. I'm not crying about it. The cards are bland in a futuristic sort of way. They resemble Ticket to Stardom, which is not a good thing. But Clayton Kershaw rises above all that. The great ones always do.

Ed also showed two other Dodgers in his SP Authentic haul. I asked for those, too. Kershaw needed some company on the ride from Wisconsin.

Ramirez's card number is 99. That's not cute anymore.

Shiny 2006 Flair Showcase. I think the only time I've seen these cards is on Roll Out the Barrel. I've mentioned before that the logo on the front looks like a hotel chain sign.

The backs are odd because they feature both the notation "Upper Deck" at the top and the Fleer logo at the bottom. I know this is because Upper Deck acquired the rights to Fleer. But it's strange seeing both mentioned on the same card back.

All right, this isn't exactly a new card. But I have a hard time calling 1993 vintage. Besides, I wanted to show how Triple Play was forced to put horizontal cards in their set because of the huge font it used for the names. "Strawberry" isn't fitting vertically.

A Nomo card I didn't have. A simple, base card Nomo. That shouldn't happen.

One of the only World Baseball Classic chrome cards that I want. Broxton would be the other one.

An xrefractor Hudson and a golden Hudson. I'm not sure where Orlando Hudson went wrong with the Dodgers, but it doesn't seem like they like him much anymore. I wish they'd keep him. Or at least I hope they don't do anything stupid. And by "stupid" I mean picking up the phone and calling the Mets about their second baseman.

It's only fitting that Mr. Vegas should feature a gold frame.

This James Loney exclusive mini means I'm just about done with Goodwin Champions. Not much for me to chase, except for those blasted "night variation" cards that seem to be made with me in mind. I wouldn't mind getting some Goodwin night cards.

I mentioned this last year: SP Authentic may produce boring base cards, but it has some nice insert cards. I like this one a lot. It looks like Christmas with the shiny gold on the red background.

That wraps up the new stuff for at least a couple of days. And I'm off to track some Brewers for Ed. I've got some. I need more.

Comments

beefman said…
I remember feeling the same way at the end of'09.

I was angry when the Dodgers let Hudson leave. Turns out that he never had another productive year, so what do I know!