Skip to main content

The power behind the power pack

I've read on the blogs several times about collectors picking up some half-price packs at Target. Power packs, they're called.

I've seen power packs at my closest Target. But the only things ever available have been Camp Rock cards or cards of some other "tween" show. Every once in awhile they'd throw in a pack or two of 2007 Upper Deck. And even though I still need Dodgers from that set, I just can't get myself to buy anything from what is a mind-numbingly boring UD offering.

But the other day I spied good stuff in the power pack display. 2008 Allen & Ginter, 2008 Heritage, 2008 Bowman. This is so key when I'm trying desperately to save a few bucks for Christmas purchases.

Even though I'm still trying to complete that blasted '08 Heritage, I grabbed six packs of a set I have already finished -- '08 A&G. I don't know why. I just liked the idea of getting some minis that I didn't have. And I've read recently that some people are still trying to finish off the set. So here was my chance to replenish the short-prints.

There's the best part. The half-off sticker. I swear, I'm a step away from buying one of those coupon organizer thingies.

So, I did get some minis. Konerko and Fielder and Felix Hernandez, and that freakin' Jeff Francis, who will haunt me to my death bed. Stop following me, Jeff. I don't like you. I barely know who you are. Go back to Rockyville. Leave me be.

They were regular-back minis, if that matters. I also pulled a couple short-prints. Just a couple. And then there were the nostalgia-filled base cards. Ah, Daric Barton. Remember him? Alex Gordon. What's he up to these days? Mark Teixeira as a Brave. Doesn't look any less jerky, though.

But all those base cards were dupes. Until I got to this one:

Yup, it's the no-numbered, gimmicked-up Fukudome card.

I had wiped this card from my hard drive. As far as I was concerned, it didn't exist. I find I handle upsetting things better -- at least when it comes to my hobby -- if I ignore them. It makes me a happier collector.

So, when I landed the last couple of numbered cards for the 2008 A&G set a year ago, I was finished. And I was happy. I aimed to complete the state cards and the World's Greatest Victories insert sets next. And I completed those. And I was happy again.

Now I have the Fukudome. And I wasn't even trying. (It's selling for between 6 bucks and 25 bucks on eBay at the moment).

And I'm happy again. Again.

Comments

dayf said…
You lucky Sonuva-

To be fair, I've pulled a Chipper Jersey card from the Power Packs before so I know how good it feels to pull gold out of garbage. The Targets down here have gone all out with the 40-70% off 2008 blasters. I am being sorely tempted, even though I'm desperately trying to save money for Topps206.