Skip to main content

Responsibility blows

Glenn Hubbard's facial expression sums up the day ahead for me. It's a day/night filled with Responsibility at my job. And I'm bracing for the grim tasks on the horizon.

But I'm not going to get into it. I'll just say it involves talking to people who were put on this earth to haunt others, and doing things that I loathe. As an added bonus, the work day will be exceedingly long. And when I get home, I won't be satisfied with a job well done, because I will be too exhausted to think.

So, there's no time for a proper post for the next 15 hours or so. But I do have a moment or two to avoid Responsibility. So here are some random cards and my thoughts on them:

I don't have a lot of special cards that aren't Dodgers. But I have decided that when I come across the few that I do, I will offer them up in exchange for something that I am collecting.

A black-bordered mini Granderson card from 2008 A&G may not be that exciting. But I know there are Granderson collectors around. In the unlikely event that Grand Cards or Dinged Corners doesn't have this card already, I am offering it to them first. Speak first and it's yours.

If they do have it, then I know the number of Granderson collectors has exploded since his unfortunate donning of pinstripes. I'll be willing to trade it to the first Yankee fan that speaks.

More randomness for you. This is a card I received from Adam of Thoughts and Sox. It is Brian Jordan's entry into the 2003 Fleer Focus set. Card No. 64.

This is the back of the card. Notice it's not Brian Jordan anymore. It's Ben Sheets. I swear I did not scan two different cards just to have something to post. The Jordan card really has a Ben Sheets back.

I realize that "error cards" mean nothing anymore now that card companies have gone the route of intentional errors. My question: "was this corrected?" Did Fleer Focus have an issue with this other than the Jordan card? I know others can navigate Beckett far better than I can to find an answer to this. I'd appreciate one.

A major thanks to opoohwan from 2008 Allen & Ginter Card-scape who sent me this '08 A&G Andre Ethier framed autograph card simply because I asked for it.

He'll be getting something in return, but isn't it nice of him to send this to me no questions asked? And isn't it nice that I can feature an Andre Ethier autographed card two days in a row?

Finally, before I get to Responsibility and disappear from blog land until Friday, I'll show a card that features perhaps my favorite card back ever:
Nighty-nite, for now.

Comments

Dinged Corners said…
Sorry you have a predetermined bad day to contend with. Those are unpleasant.

We have that black-bordered Granderson, but only the one with the plain vanilla back. If yours is the Ginter-guy back, we seek it if Grand Cards is already set.
Steve Gierman said…
No mention of the error on Beckett. The back pictured on the site is the correct back. You may have a 1/1. LOL
Mark Aubrey said…
According to the 2009 Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, Brian Jordan is listed as card # 64 of the 2003 Fleer Focus Jersey Edition. Ben Sheets is listed as card # 119 of that set. Neither of them are listed as ERROR cards.
AdamE said…
I thought the joke was on you when I sent those Bonds cards but maybe it was me for sending you a 1/1 card that you can dump on ebay for $1000.

kidding of course
night owl said…
DC ~ It's the regular-old back.

WSC and Mark: Thanks. I plan to offer this card to a Brian Jordan or Ben Sheets supercollector for a jillion dollars.

What? Nobody collects Jordan or Sheets? Darn.