Skip to main content

What 5 dollars will get ya


I'm not talking about cards, my addicted friend. I'm talking about beautiful, glorious storage space!

Yep, I plunked down five bucks to free up gobs and gobs of gigabytes fortified with image-uploading power. I can now upload every single bip card from every last one of everyone's bippings and STILL have acres of space left over.

I am loving life. Well, blog life anyway. Work life remains a cesspool of suck.

But to celebrate my ability to feature as many images as I like once again, I am going to do what you would naturally expect me to do: show a whole bunch of cards that I got! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I will keep the commentary short as this is a post celebrating pretty pictures.

These cards come from three separate people -- all very generous folks. So have a gander without the guilt that you might have felt thinking that the next image I posted would be my last.

First up is madding from Cards on Cards. I may have received more packages from him than any other blogger. His cards came with a note that said, "Found these on the side of the road."

There are Dodgers cards on the side of the road in Oregon?????

(*quickly looks up average housing prices in Oregon*)


These cards are awfully shiny for sitting on the side of the road. The number of Adrian Beltre cards I have is growing to freakish dimensions.


A very early Russell Martin Bowman card. Even back then they insisted on calling him "Russ."



Hey! Jackie! This particular picture has been used for decades.


Mark Loretta is now retired and working for the Padres. This card reminds me that there are still Heritage High Number Dodgers that I need even while my focus is on 2010 cards.


I received a nice stack of 2000 Topps Chrome Dodgers. They have the look and feel of a stainless steel sink.


All right! 1980s Fleer! There is nothing that underlines the fact that I will never get all the cards I want by receiving 1980s cards that I don't already have.


Here is a Nomo card that I needed. If you look at the "Dodger Players I Collect" post, you'll see my Nomo collection has passed 200. I have a long way to go, but I have all of you to thank.


This Hershiser is just one of the many '93 Pinnacle cards I received. Kerry must be tripping over cards in his home.


All of the players on these Skybox cards are leaning left. Use whatever political joke you like.


More Orel! This is a glossy Hershiser. Excellent.


The 1995 Bazooka Dodger set is complete. Now I can sleep.


There are certain headlines that newspapers use over and over. I'm pretty sure it's the same for baseball cards. You can't tell me that "By the Numbers" hasn't been used before.

Thanks, Kerry, again. Not a bip in sight. That's appreciated.

The next few cards are from Joe M., who sent me some of my first packs of 2010 cards.

He likes to collect Hall of Famers, so he had a few extras lying around.


That's a whole bunch of manufactured patch. Not thrilled with these things. But I do want the Dodgers, so this is great.


I don't get the design of this card at all. I'm sure some of them had a relic window in the middle. The rest are weird.


More Campy, paired up with Popeye on the very pink Triple Threads.


Here is another Dodger Hall of Famer. I remember when you couldn't say that about Pee Wee. I'm glad I can now.


I'm not sure what set this is. I received several cards from it. It looks TCMA-ish.


Speaking of TCMA, Joe sent several of the cards from the TCMA 1960s set, which I wanted very much as a teenager. I thought I'd show Santo just to slip one non-Dodger in there.


Finally, a card of someone who actually plays today. This is the last Dodger I needed to complete the 2009 Sweet Spot base team set. The image is very similar to what Upper Deck is using in its 2010 set -- a sideways shot with logo obscured.

One thing that confuses me about Upper Deck and the logos. They do appear to be thumbing their nose at the MLB license agreement as logos are apparent on a number of cards. But why all the sideways shots and backs of heads shots as if they're making an attempt to obscure the logos? Is that some sort of legal maneuver -- if they show they're making a half-assed attempt at obscuring the logos than they're somehow innocent? I would think if they were actually being rebellious -- instead of this passive aggressive shit that I see -- they would show a full logo on every damn card so there was no mistake about it.

OK, that was too much commentary. Back to the cards. (Thanks Joe!)

The remaining cards are from John of Old School Breaks. This was from a most excellent multi-box break he held around the holidays. I got a lot more cards than I was expecting. I don't even know if these are all from the break or not. Whatever. They're cool.


The Hershiser card is key because I traded this to Mark's Ephemera not long ago. And now I have it again. Yay!


A pair of Nomo cards that I needed. Later I'll have to post of a whole bunch of new Nomos sent to me this week. It'll be cool.


This is the difference between the 2002 Donruss Elite base and the 2003 Donruss Elite base. I am so blinded by shiny that it's hard to make out the subtle changes.


I absolutely love the Upper Deck '70s set. This is from the Decade Dynasties insert set. This my be my favorite card from John. Not a great photo, but I like the set too much to care about anything else.


All right, this card annoys me. I am still trying to get the Jennie Finch Fans of the Game card, basically the only one I care about. It was yanked out from under me during my last COMC purchase as I apparently didn't pull the trigger on the cards in my queue quick enough. I may need to look elsewhere.


A whole mess of fancy Edwin Jackson cards from his pre-Tiger, pre-Snake days. Two numbered cards, a ticket card and a jersey card. The ticket features a Dodger game against the Diamondbacks, interestingly. The Dodgers lost 6-4 in 12 innings. Jackson did not pitch. He played in only 4 games in 2003.


This Shawn Green Fleer Showcase bat card is quite different. There is virtually no indentation where the jersey fits and the jersey is not raised in any way. It's on a level surface with the rest of the card.


Final card. An awesome blue jersey swatch and bat combo relic card of Beltre from '05 Donruss Elite. Add the excellent "Back 2 Back Jacks" heading and you have a killer card.

Fantastic break, OSC!

OK, if you were counting, that was 35 images in one post.

I'm back, baby!

Comments

another great post! what did you end up using for your storage option? 5 bucks sounds like a good deal.
Mark Aubrey said…
I don't want to answer a question that was posed directly to the Night Owl, but I will.

5 bucks got him a total of 20GB picture storage. Currently, blogger/picasa provides 1GB for free.

Then it is $5 per year.
gritz76 said…
This is the reason why every time I google a dodger card your site comes up over and over again.
Hackenbush said…
Great choice of a non-Dodger. BTW according to Santo he was once within a day of becoming a Dodger. None other than Dodgers third base coach Leo Durocher came up to Ron before a game in 1962 and said "You are going to be a big star in this game, kid. By the way, you might be wearing a Dodger uniform tomorrow." The trade that never happened was supposedly Santo for Ron Fairly, Frank Howard and Stan Williams.
zman40 said…
I like pictures.

I still can't figure out where to find how much space I have.
Anonymous said…
Wow, nice haul. :)
Mark Aubrey said…
Zach,

Sign in to Google/Blogger/Picasa.

Get to your Picasa web albums. Look for Storage. You'll find it there.

I emailed you more specific instructions.
madding said…
I think what is so annoying about 2010 Upper Deck is that they ended up making an extremely crappy looking set and still broke the rules.
Anonymous said…
Hello, What 2009 Heritage High numbers dodgers do you need? I can probably help you out, I have a hobby box of cards, you can email me at gobigpelf34@aim.com, or comment on my blog somewhere, thanks!
Anonymous said…
Passive aggressive... interesting. Maybe that's why I'm having so much trouble figuring out my thoughts on the Debacle in the Upper Deck. I strongly disagree with madding's assessment that 2010 UD crappy looking, however. The last three cards in both packs I bought having roller marks was extremely crappy though.

Three gigs are free on WordPress, and I've only used about 3% I think.
I'm glad to see a "pic" full post. I can't help it, but every time you have a post and I get down to that Alyssa Milano picture, I get very distracted. Very, very...distracted.