Skip to main content

First!


When will you big case-breakers ever learn? Phungo ALWAYS puts out the first packs of the year.

Once again, he's beaten every card company to the punch with his 2011 edition of Phungo cards. This year's cards feature the usual black framed inserts, plus traditional goodies, and -- new this year -- the special retired number series, featuring Jackie Robinson's No. 42.

Oooh, I hope I get me one of thoses!

(By the way, how does one go about collecting all 56 base cards? I can only find one pack of these every year).

Let's gets to ripping:


A terrific start. It's new Dodgers first base coach Davey Lopes confronting Red Riding Hood. If the Dodgers show any improvement this year, I almost guarantee Lopes can take the credit. He'll whip their lazy asses into shape.


Former Dodger Randy Wolf has been an up-and-down kind of pitcher the last few years. But he kicked ass against the Giants when he was with L.A., so I officially like this card.


Jamie Moyer is currently in the laboratory trying to figure out how he can replace his injured left arm with a mutated elephant's trunk and continue pitching into his 50s. The guy is fixated on making sure there is one player in the major leagues older than Night Owl.


Mr. Harry and the Hendersons is neither a Dodger nor Phillie anymore. He's got a good thing going in Washington right now. And by good thing I mean lots and lots of cash.


We've come to the traditional-card portion of the pack. This is a Baseball Card Magazine Orel Hershiser. I admit, this is a dupe, but, wow, it's in much, much, much better shape than my version. Someone has patience with the razor.


Dem Bum! Carl Furillo was as legendy as legends get. Kind of bitter in the end, but he had a right to be. By the way, Furillo will make a cool appearance on the blog in the near future. Oooh, the tension!


Wow! A Stadium Club need off the want list. That is hard to do, but Phungo always comes through. I've almost given up on finishing off this set, but now this card will re-invigorate me. For about 30 seconds.


Last card is the best! The Phillies 42 Robinson from the Retired Numbers series! Wooooooooo!

I may have jumbled the cards around to make sure this was the last one. Or maybe it was the last one. I don't know. I dropped the cards and my memory sucks. Yes, I'm clumsy and forgetful. It's a gift.

So concludes the first pack of the year. As usual, no other pack that I open for the rest of the year will come as close to satisfying my collector needs.

Phungo cards rule.

Comments