Skip to main content

Why I don't talk cards with my mother

Top 10 reasons:

10. I'd get the "are you really going to talk trading cards to me" look.

9. I'd have to explain why a pack of cards costs $9.49.

8. She might ask to see my card room and tell me to clean it up.

7. She might ask to see my card room and see how much money I've spent.

6. I'd remind her that I inherited the collecting gene from her but instead of collecting something worthwhile like bells or angels, I collect pictures of men playing baseball.

5. I'd have to try to explain this:


It would take me all Mother's Day.

4. I'd be tempted to ask if I could explore my parents' attic just one more time because I KNOW there are STILL some cards up there that I've somehow missed.

3. I'd be tempted to ask why she never buys me baseball cards anymore.

2. I'd have to hear her say the word "baseball" in that way that she says it that makes it seem like she's pronouncing a foreign word for the first time.

1. I would have to tell her that she bought me the first packs of baseball cards that I ever saw and it's her fault that I'm so hopelessly hooked on the greatest hobby that has ever been created in the history of time.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms.

Especially the ones who raised baseball card collectors.

Voluntarily or not.

Comments

JediJeff said…
4. I'd be tempted to ask if I could explore my parents' attic just one more time because I KNOW there are STILL some cards up there that I've somehow missed.

HOW ABOUT IT!!!! I know there is some up there. I just know it!!!!!!
Tony L. said…
Isn't that the truth....it is totally my mom who got me into collecting.
My mom didn't get me into collecting (I don't remember what prompted me to start) and I no longer talk about cards with her...because that's how I end up with boxes of Pro Set Hockey.
Fuji said…
Lol... great post. I'm pretty sure I've gone over #9 and #6 with my mom in the past 12 months.
Mark Hoyle said…
Love the post.. I believe my mom bought me my first pack of cards also
CaptKirk42 said…
Yep that's about it. 5, and 7 through 10 I think are international standards for all collectors. #4 The attic also is pretty standard but doesn't apply to all collectors, if there is no attic it's the basement if there is no basement because it's a one level or an apartment then it is either a storage room/area or a closet.