Skip to main content

Even the want list is mini


I thought it was a happy coincidence that my 1975 Topps mini want list was at six cards on the day that my blog turned six.

But I didn't have enough time to sit among my cards and sing kumbaya, because on Night Owl Cards' very birthday, the '75 mini want list grew even smaller! Yesterday, I received a two-card package in the mail from mr haverkamp, a.k.a., Jim.

In it was the long elusive mini of the late Danny Thompson.


The other card was the fourth and final Nolan Ryan card in the set that I needed (plus a mustachioed Steve Carlton, which is always strange to me).

That leaves me a mere four cards away from a complete set of what is probably my all-time favorite set, and definitely my all-time favorite parallel set.

This is all that's left:

#203 - 1965 MVPs (Zoilo Versalles, Willie Mays)
#205 - 1967 MVPs (Carl Yastrzemski, Orlando Cepeda)
#300 - Reggie Jackson
#320 - Pete Rose

Now ... a little plea that may seem strange to some.

Please let me finish this off myself.

Does that seem odd? I hope it doesn't seem ungrateful.

Part of the beauty of the card blog community is how willing everyone is to help others finish off collections. I've received help completing dozens of sets through other bloggers and collectors in the last six years, and some have even provided the last card or two for them. In fact, I'd probably still be hunting down the '71 Roberto Clemente card if it wasn't for this guy.

But sometimes you just want to do something for yourself -- pull up those big collector pants and go card hunting.

Ideally, that's what I'd like to do here.

Now, I'm not going to pack up my blog and go home if someone decides to send me one or all of these cards anyway. I'll still be happy and present them on the blog with grand ceremony. So, consider this merely a wish. I've received too many great cards from too many people to cut off the pipeline.

But if you can understand where I'm coming from here, you might be willing to hold back.

I don't know, maybe I'm just weird. Being picky about how cards are obtained? Anyone else feel this way about completing sets?

Thanks for the cards, Jim. It's amazing that I have just four to go.

Oh, and sorry not sorry about that 17-0 game.

Comments

deal said…
Awesome and Good Luck on the Final Four. Totally understand the On Your Own aspects of wanting to finish this set. Are you going to try and do it via shows/shops?
jacobmrley said…
Good luck. I look forward to the joyous completion.

And to be honest, I didn't want to give up my mini Reggie.
night owl said…
Since there is a major scheduling conflict when the next card show happens in my area, I'll probably be tracking them down online.