Skip to main content

The post office worker still knows who I am

 

I mailed some cards today!!!! Yay me!

I knew the way to the post office and everything! I got in line like a big boy and Mr. Post Office Guy recognized me! Little ol' me! Who hadn't been there in at least a month!

Heh.

So, some card packages are finally out. I didn't get to all of the ones on my desk because let's not get crazy here. The bank account needs to start getting used to double digits. But I feel a little re-energized now that I'm back to transacting like a properly functioning card collector.

I feel so good about it that I'm going to show some cards from someone who is still on the IOU list, guilt-free!

These cards are from Chris from Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz. I found out he had some 1972 Topps just sitting around and I couldn't stop bothering him after that.

But before you see those, let's see some lesser cards.


Chris sent several 2008 Heritage High Numbers cards and I totally forgot I was collecting this. But it's nice that I got them as it reignites my quest for completing the regular old base set, which I am now in year six of attempting to finish.


I can see why Topps has done away with team cards after these monstrosities. From walls blocking bat boys to trademarks, there is so much legal bullshit hanging over this card that it's completely destroyed it. Might as well get rid of them if you can't do 'em right.



Remember these? Green shiny was very popular in 2011.

I wish the Dodgers still had Kuroda, they could use him. Mattingly, on the other hand ...



OK, I'm done talking about modern cards, I'm not in the mood for it today. What I'm in the mood for are ... MINNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This card here, the Pepe Mangual mini (hee, hee), cuts my 1975 Topps mini want list to a mere six items. Two MVP cards, the Strikeout Leaders card, Danny Thompson (wah?), Reggie Jackson and Pete Rose.

I should be able to dust that off in a month or two -- provided my sudden urge for Kellogg's 3-D cards doesn't impede my progress.


Here begins the '72s.

This card is so '70s that it should have arrived with one of those yellow smiley faces stuck to it. It's a horribly cropped action shot (complete with dancing bat in action) and the card is also miscut, apparently in tribute to the action on the photo.


Dock Ellis. He was one of the blatant hold-outs in my mission to at least complete the first two series in this pain-in-the-ass set. That's an interesting spot for the uniform number.


High-number alert!!!!

Mike Epstein is about ready to foul one off into the dugout and send those sedentary sitters scrambling.

I couldn't be more pleased to cross off those three cards from the '72 want list.

But mostly I'm pleased to be sending out packages again.

Heck, I'm even happy standing in line with the post office weirdos again, too.

I just tell myself over and over again that what they're sending can't possibly be as good as what I'm sending.

Comments

Fuji said…
Great looking' 72's. We're on the same page. I just hung out for 30 mins at my post office this afternoon.
I know I'm late to the party, but those Heritage Green Shinies are really awesome. At the risk of sounding like a one trick pony, I'll say "If only Junior had held on for one more season..."
I was at the post office today. The people there are never happy to see me.
BobWalkthePlank said…
I need to get a Dock Ellis warmup jacket.
Commishbob said…
In one post you displayed both ends of the card universe. It doesn't get much better than a '72 Dock Ellis card... or much worse that the Angels team card. Nicely done.
AdamE said…
I have doubles of the mini Jim Rice RC that I would have sent you a year ago if I had known you needed it. You should put the player(s) name on your want list for those last 6 cards, I bet would find and send them to you faster.