Skip to main content

Handouts


I'll let you in on how it's been going the last couple of weeks around here:

(*Work, work, work, work, work, work*)

(*eat dinner*)

(*work, work, work, work, work, work*)

(*greet neglected dog*)

(*blog*)

(*look at neglected card packages on desk*)

(*sleep*)

(*work out*)

(*work, work, work, work, work, work*)

(*greet neglected family*)

(*eat dinner*)

(*work, work, work, work, work, work*)

(*blog*)

(*sleep*)

(*check bank account*)

(*decide I can mail some card packages*)

(*work out*)

(*scramble to get to post office in 5 minutes I have*)

(*work, work, work, work, work, work*)

(*eat dinner*)

(*work, work, work, work, work, work*)

(*great neglected dog*)

(*blog*)

(*sleep*)

(*YAY! DAY OFF!*) (*work, work, work, work, work, work, work*)

(*work out*) (*work, work, work, work, work, work, work*)

(*greet neglected fam ...*) (*WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK*)

(*day off again!*) (*WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK*)

You get the idea.

My daughter has started lecturing me about taking time for myself.

But today. Finally. After 17 days. I have a day off.

I spent part of it assembling card packages that are waaaaaay overdue, using some envelopes that have been used by at least half a dozen other people to avoid spending money I don't have.

Yup. 17 days in a row doesn't mean overtime pay in my line of work.

All of this exertion limits my card purchasing, too. Not that there's anything current worth buying, but I would like to at least get the Topps Update Dodgers squared away (and -- ahem -- the Series 2 Dodgers).

I still hadn't found any Update Dodgers until I received some handouts from both The Card Chop and Hot Corner Cards.

These are my first in-person looks at Topps Update Dodgers. I know. You've completed the set already. Don't laugh.


I received this card from both bloggers. Erisbel Arrubarrena, whose name is like a Cuban version of Jarrod Saltalamacchia, is a defensive master.


Got this card from both guys, too. Kershaw is puzzling over his postseason stats against the Cardinals. Aren't we all. Nothing makes sense anymore. Just look at who won the World Series.


If I told 2013 Night Owl that Dee Gordon would appear in an All-Star Game the following season, he'd laugh and pelt me with stress balls.

But it's so. Here's a card as proof. (I should know who that guy in the background is, but I don't).



And just in case you still don't believe it, here's a second card of almost the same picture. Please don't tell me Dee Gordon is getting like Mariah Carey and allows only one side of his face to be photographed.



Update is good for remembering bonehead decisions by management. Nobody wanted Chone Figgins, but the Dodgers grabbed him anyway, and then gave up on him when they finally realized that Figgins hasn't hit over .220 in three years.

Here Figgins clearly capitalizes on someone else's ability by scoring an apparent winning run. And everyone else is thrilled even though they're covered in blood.


Final card is a happier Kershaw. Probably back during spring training days, where like vintage cards of yore, he appears to be posing on a playground. Is that a see-saw in the background?



Both bloggers sent two memorable Dodgers cards from the years when I wasn't collecting. The Hideo Nomo Gallery card at the top of the post is a personal favorite. He almost looks like an early Peanuts character. And this card here remembers dearly departed Mike Piazza. Gone to that catcher's box in the sky.*

I'm glad I have this day off to blog about these cards. Between all of the work, there also was a very busy holiday and a family tragedy averted (but we're still dealing with the residue).

I've needed a release from all of that. So to celebrate my rare day off, I completed a long overdue team set in the wee hours last night. You'll see that in a couple of weeks.

But for now, I'll spend the rest of the night getting re-introduced to my collection.

But first ...

(*turns off cell phone*)

(*shuts down computer*)

(*drives to cabin in the woods*)

Work can't find me here.



*Mike Piazza is alive you literal ninnies.

Comments

Zippy Zappy said…
The back of Arruearruena's jersey in the 2013 WBC (the name was pretty much wrapped around the number) had me stitches when I first saw it. I remember a lot of bloggers had their own captions and one of them was "suck it Saltalamacchia."