Skip to main content

For my next project ...


I placed an order for one of the three cards I need to complete the 1972 Topps set yesterday. I'm too cheap to order all three at once.

But the day is coming soon when I will have completed the '72 set. And that means I'm already thinking about which sets I will try to complete next (excluding the 1956 set, which is an ongoing process that will continue for many years).

I've already mentioned that my next top completion task will be tackling the 1973 Topps set. I'm looking forward to that one. The '73 set isn't exactly tough to complete, especially immediately after dealing with the '71 and '72 sets, but it takes a little bit of doing.

I like to counter that by tackling another completion quest at the same time, something much easier.

I've thought about what that second set will be. If my goal is to complete all the sets from my first collecting period then I should definitely make that second set 1981 Fleer. But I just can't get myself to focus on it. Way too much yellow in that thing.

The Fleer set that I really, really like that I haven't completed is the 1984 set. I even bought a few packs of that in '84.

So that's the "second set" that I plan to try to complete.


It has all of the same interesting, strangely photographed, posed and cropped shots of all those other '80s Fleer sets, but with a nice clean design that is one of the best of the '80s.

I can't wait to work on completing both sets and although the '84 Fleer set will be much easier, I hope someone doesn't land 400 cards on me at once. I'd like to do at least some assembling.

Expect to see want lists for both in the coming weeks or months.

It all depends on when I get those final two '72s.

Comments

Kin said…
Nice choice! There is something basic, yet visually appealing about the design on 84F.

-kin
Scott Crawford said…
Some of the best photography ever.

I found a complete set at the flea market, so I really haven't spent the time with it that I should. Soon.
Chris Johnson said…
I got plenty of dupes I can throw your way if you want
Daniel Wilson said…
Great set to go after! I just posted about a lot of 1984 Fleer cards I picked up from ebay recently. Great photography in that set!
Commishbob said…
Great choice. It'll be fun to watch as you post these.
steelehere said…
Both great choices. All that's missing is starting a 1967 set then you'll be working on one from the 50's, 60's', 70's and 80's.
David said…
'50s, '60s, '70s and '80s. It has a nice ring to it.
Don said…
Just thinking about that set the other day. That is one I really like, and you should have some fun putting it together.
Bo said…
Great set. I have quite a few to trade if you need them: https://sites.google.com/site/borosnytradelistwantlist/tradelist
Chris said…
84 Fleer is a good choice, as others have said. 81 Fleer is kind of bland, I understand why you cant get into it.

I was just perusing your "All-Time Topps Set countdown" and I agree with so many of your comments, specifically 1956 (which is a long-term project for me as well), 1975, 1991, and 1957. I'm a lot higher on 1968 than you are, I'd swap it with 1971 on your list - but overall, I'd say you know how to pick a great set. Good luck with your next projects!
Unknown said…
As a kid I was a couple of cards off on the 84 Fleer set, and I picked up the Update set last year, so maybe I'll revisit too. Always liked the 83F set as well. Loved seeing the second image on the backs on those cards when that was introduced.
Fuji said…
I thought about tackling the 1973 set... but I think I'm gonna cheat and find one on eBay or at a card show. Best of luck on all three of these projects.
Unknown said…
If you are looking for cheap singles in NM condition to complete almost any set from 1974 to current, check out my new site (www.completeyoursets.com). Thanks.